Saturday, October 27, 2012

FORTY-TWO


Cate gave Tico a nervous smile.  She could see more than innocent curiosity in those deep brown eyes.  She leaned forward to accept his peck on her cheek.

"Just visiting.  I was in town and saw this evening advertised.  It's for a good cause, so I thought I'd check it out."  Her voice was calm and even, though she knew her answer was flimsy.  Cate tried to keep her expression neutral when Tico's bushy eyebrows bunched with his furrowed brow.

"Johnny didn't come with you?"

"No.  He's shooting the series."

"Oh."  Tico gave Cate a long look before his expression relaxed.  "I'm surprised to see you, as lovely as this little coincidence is.  I figured you'd be scrambling around to finish up the details of your own party."

Cate chuckled, a little guiltily.  "Thankfully Dorothea has everything well in hand.  At this point I think I'm more of a hinderance to her than a help."

Tico's baritone chortle made her relax a bit more.  Though Cate was certain her appearance at the gala still hadn't been explained to his satisfaction, it seemed Tico wasn't going to push the issue.

Ellen watched the exchange with her own quizzical expression.  It was obvious the artist and the patron were well-acquainted.   She smoothly slipped into the conversation.

"It appears you've met before."

Cate turned her smile to the older woman.  "Oh, sorry.  Yes.  We know each other well, actually."

Tico rumbled a laugh.  "Cate is my Boss' wife.  Well, my part-time Boss, anyway."

"Your Boss?"  Ellen tipped her head slightly with her half-perplexed smile. 

"Jon.  Tico is his drummer."  Cate couldn't help but giggle as Ellen nodded slowly, an unspoken "A-Ha!" in her expression.  It wasn't often Cate ran into someone who had little knowledge of her husband's singing career, even though there were probably millions of people on the planet who were completely unaware of Bon Jovi's existence.

"Oh.  OH... Of course."  Ellen smiled apologetically.  "I did know that, actually.  It just slipped my mind, since I have my art-brain on."  She chuckled.  "How interesting, then.  That you would be drawn to the work of an acquaintance."

"A friend," Cate gently corrected the woman.  "And now that I know it's Tico's... I can see why I like it."  She gave Tico another little smile.  "We have several of his works."

“Ah, but I don’t believe you have one of my sculptures,” Tico prodded, giving Ellen a little wink.  “This would be a great addition to your collection.”  He turned slightly to sweep both hands toward the statue, mouthing a silent, exaggerated “Ta-Da!”

Cate giggled softly at Tico’s salesmanship, then arched a playful brow toward the older woman.  “My Goodness.  You definitely have the soft-sell down pat.  You even have the artists in on it.  Makes it nearly impossible to resist making a bid.”

“Well, that’s the goal, getting our patrons to open their wallets.  For a donation to a worthy cause they receive a beautiful memento of their generosity.”  Ellen’s reply was accompanied by a wink and a smile.  “And Mr. and Mrs. Torres have been quite generous with their support of this gala.  Not just by providing wonderful pieces for the auction, but financially as well.”

Cate gave Tico a warm smile.  “They’re very generous people,” she agreed.

“Speaking of Mrs. Torres… where is Alejandra?  I haven’t had the pleasure of saying hello.”  Ellen turned to scan the room.

“Unfortunately, she was unable to come tonight.”  Tico bowed his head in an apologetic nod.  “Hector developed a fever this afternoon.  It’s nothing serious, but you know Mami.  She won’t leave his side when he’s ill.”

Cate replied before Ellen, concern tinging her voice.  “Oh no!  Little T’s sick?”

Tico chuckled quietly at her response.  Cate doted over his son every time she saw him.  Hector adored her as well, nicknaming her “Aunt Kitty.”  Jon had wisecracked that Little Hector was the only male on the planet who could get away with calling his tomboy wife by that girly name.

“Just a little bug, probably from something he ate or from playing too hard outside.  But you know Ale… Her baby sneezes and she’s ready to call the doctor.”

“Well please tell him Auntie Cate sends him a big get-well hug.”

“I will.”  Tico smirked, resisting the urge to add “…Aunt Kitty” to his reply.  “Actually, he’d love to see you.  Why don’t you come by tomorrow and give him your well-wishes in person?”

Cate fought back the urge to cringe at Tico’s suggestion.  Though she would likely still be in Miami tomorrow, she certainly wouldn’t have the opportunity to pay a social call on the Torres family.  

“That would be nice,” she answered, nodding slowly as she tried to formulate an answer that wasn’t a complete lie. “I’d like that very much… if your schedule permits.  I certainly don’t want to intrude on your home while Ale is busy…”

“Not at all.  She’d love to see you.”  Tico brushed aside Cate’s mild protest with a wave of a beefy hand.  “In fact, she’ll probably scold you for not coming over sooner.  How long have you been in town?”

Cate blushed lightly.  Now she had no choice but to fib.  Silvio’s team had taken great pains to make it appear as if she had been in Miami longer than she really had.

“Since Saturday.”

Tico’s brow furrowed, and he frowned slightly.  Cate could see the confusion in his eyes.

“This was kind of a last-minute trip.  I found out one of my girlfriends was in town, visiting from Japan.  I haven’t seen her in years, since we worked together, and…”  Cate paused, forcing herself to stop babbling.  She knew better than to offer more details than necessary, but her encounter with Tico had rattled her a little.  She took a breath, then smiled apologetically.  “Well, you know how it is with us girls… we get together and time stands still.”

Tico chortled as he nodded slowly.  “Yes, that I do know.”

“I’ll give Ale a call tomorrow, see if we can work something out for a quick visit.”  Cate glanced back toward Ellen, unable to look Tico in the eye as she made the vague promise.  She recognized now she would at least have to make that telephonic effort, to maintain her ruse that she was in town on a social trip.  She wasn’t sure how she’d be able to avoid another invitation to the Torres home, but she’d have to come up with something.

Ellen watched the exchange, now a bit uncomfortable that the conversation had veered into slightly more personal matters.  She turned her head to quickly survey the auction, looking for an excuse to make a graceful exit.  She spotted another familiar patron, then turned her smile back to Cate and Tico.

“Hector, I’m very sorry to hear your Little One isn’t feeling well.  My best wishes for his speedy recovery.  And please tell Alejandra her lovely presence was sorely missed this evening.” 

“Thank you.  I will,” Tico promised.  He pressed his palms together and bowed slightly at the waist.  The gracious gesture made Cate smile.

Ellen acknowledged Tico’s gentlemanly action with a nod of her head.  “And now, if you will please excuse me, I see someone who has taken an interest in one of the works.  I should go do my job, and encourage a healthy bid.”  She smiled at Cate, her voice taking a teasing note.  “Mrs. Bongiovi, it was a pleasure to meet you.  And I do hope you will consider placing your own bid on one of these lovely pieces.  I believe Hector can handle the ‘sales pitch’ from here.”

Cate chuckled quietly.  “Yes, I’m sure he can.  Thank you, Ellen.  It was a pleasure to meet you as well.”

“Enjoy your evening.”

“I will.”  Cate watched the silver-haired woman turn and make her way to a middle-aged couple who were admiring a large canvas.  She then half-turned, surreptitiously shooting another glance toward the wide arched door to the adjoining room.  She hoped Cupid was still where she had left him.

“So, Cate…”  Tico’s deep voice made her turn her gaze back to his handsome face.  He was smiling, but unmasked curiosity remained in his expression.  “Can I buy you a drink?”

“Umm… actually, I’m not drinking.”  Cate shrugged apologetically.

“Well, then, how about a Ginger Ale?  With a twist of lime?  You can pretend it’s a Mojito.”  Tico rumbled a deep chuckle.  He knew Cate had curtailed her alcohol consumption months ago, when she and Jon had started trying for a child.

Cate chuckled at his suggestion.  Actually, that didn’t sound half-bad.  But she needed to somehow figure out how to gracefully escape into the next room to check on her Target.  She was on the clock, after all.

“Thank you, Teek, but I’m not really thirsty right now.  Maybe later?”  Cate reached for her beaded bag, which was tucked under her arm.  “Besides, I think I need to make a bid on your sculpture.  How do I…?”

Again Tico’s brushy eyebrows arched slightly.  He could sense Cate’s discomfort, like she was anxious to avoid conversation with him.  She was usually gregarious and easy-going around him, even when Jon wasn’t around.   Tico’s eyes narrowed as he saw Cate turn and shoot another look toward the exit.

“You can bid anytime this evening.  In fact, I’d recommend you wait awhile, until more people have offered their bids.  You’ll get a better deal that way.”

“I’m not concerned about the money, Tico.  It’s for charity.”  Cate gave him a tight-lipped smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

“I know.  But just the same… play the game.  That’s how the evening works.”  Tico tipped his head as he again puzzled over Cate’s demeanor.  “So, Chica… if I can’t buy you a drink, can I at least convince you to honor me with a dance?”  He offered her a hand, then tipped his head toward the parquet floor where a dozen couples were now circling to a slow, sultry number.

“Oh… uh… really?”  Tico’s request caught Cate off-guard. 

“Yes.  Really.  Come on, Cate.”  Tico pushed his hand toward her, renewing his offer. 

“Well… okay.”  Cate relented with a little shrug and a sheepish smile.  “But this is at your own risk, you know.  I have two left feet.”  She placed her hand in Tico’s and let him turn her toward the dance floor. 

“That’s okay, so do I.  So we’ll counterbalance each other.”  Tico chuckled as he led Cate away from the auction table, moving slowly so she could follow on her high heels.  When they reached the floor he turned and slipped an arm around her waist, his big hand resting lightly at the small of her back while his other hand clasped hers.

Cate giggled softly and rested her forearm On Tico’s thick bicep, clutching her little purse in her hand against his shoulder.  She waited for him to take the lead, then began to move with him in a slow revolution.

They danced in silence for a few moments, then Tico gave her a concerned half-smile.  “Cate… is everything okay?”

Cate’s blue eyes widened at his quiet query.  Her heart squeezed a little as she saw the worry in his gaze and the sympathy in his smile. 

“Sure.  I’m fine…. Why?”

“Because you’re not acting like yourself.  You seem… distracted.”

“Distracted?”  Cate gave Tico what she knew wasn’t a convincing smile.  “I don’t know what you mean.”

“Like your mind is somewhere else.”  Tico’s smile faded.  “Cate, is everything okay between you and Johnny?  I know it’s none of my business, but…”

Cate gave a soft, nervous giggle.  “Teek, it’s fine.  I swear.  We’re fine.”  She sighed quietly.  “Are you worried because I’m here by myself?  Is that it?”

“Well, it is a surprise to see you here.  I know you don’t particularly like to get dressed up and go out to these things with Jon.”  Tico’s expression remained serious as he guided Cate in a slow turn to avoid a camera-wielding man taking photographs of the band. “So to see you here alone is a little strange.”

“I was in town and heard about it, and… well, the cause appealed to me.”  Cate smiled.  “I can do stuff for charity too, can’t I?”

“Of course.”  Tico raised an eyebrow.  “So here you are, by yourself.  But you seem… nervous.  Like you don’t really want to be here.”

“Tico, I want to be here.  Why else would I have bought a ticket?”

“Are you here with someone?”  Tico’s question was issued in a half-murmur.  Cate could tell from his tone that it wasn’t a friendly query.

“No.”

“Cate…”  Tico frowned.  “How you live your life is your business. But if you are here with another man…”

Cate’s lips parted in a surprised gasp, her blue eyes widening. 

“Wha… what?”

“You heard me.”  Tico stared at Cate, his expression hardening.  “Does Jon even know you’re here?”

“Tico…”  Cate’s smile faded.  “I’m here by myself.  I assure you.”  She sidestepped his question.

“So you came to Miami to visit a friend, yet you come to a charity gala by yourself?”

“She had to fly out tonight.”

“Cate.”  Tico gave her a long look. 

Cate met his suspicious stare, willing herself not to flinch.  She hated lying to this man she adored.

When Tico spoke again his voice was more controlled.  “Chica.  I’ll ask you again.  Are you here with another man?”

Guilt momentarily squeezed Cate’s heart, the emotion quickly replaced by a stab of anger.  Was she really reading Tico correctly?  Did he honestly think she was cheating on Jon?

NO.”  Cate’s answer was firm and direct.  “I told you.  I’m here alone.”

“Then why do you keep looking at the doorway?”  Tico’s challenge was a low growl of accusation.  “Like you’re watching for someone?”

“Tico, I’m not…”

He cut her protest off.  “And over there… you were fidgeting.  You didn’t want to stand there and talk to me.”

“It wasn’t you.  I was tired of being pressured to bid on the auction.  By that Ellen woman, by Mrs. Duque…”

“Or you didn’t want somebody to see you with me.  Or for me to see who you’re with.”  Tico stopped moving, his grip on Cate’s hand tightening.  Cate felt his body tense with his confrontation.  He clearly didn’t believe her.

“Tico!  I swear!  That’s not it at all…”  Cate felt panic rising.  She could hardly believe what was happening.  How could Tico doubt her devotion to Jon?  She swallowed hard, willing herself to remain calm.  She had to avoid making a scene at all costs.

“Then what is it, Cate?”  Tico’s tone was even but menacing.  “Tell me.  Because I will tell Johnny about this little… encounter.”

Cate felt her temper flare at Tico’s veiled threat.  She knew he was acting out of loyalty to Jon, but his implied accusation was way out of line.  Her jaw clenched, and her reply came through her gritted teeth.

“Teek, I can’t…”

Her denial was interrupted by a cheery voice.  “Smile, folks!  You’re on Candid Camera!”

Startled, Cate automatically turned her gaze toward the voice.  She found herself staring at a shiny lens, a grinning moustached man looming behind the camera. 

“Oh, no thank…”  Cate’s weak protest evaporated as the flash momentarily blinded her.

“Cate, smile.”  Tico’s prompt was delivered in a warmer tone.  The pressure of his hand at the small of her back further urged her to comply.  She glanced at his face and saw Tico now wore a tight-jawed grin.  Cate’s lips curved upwards in response.

“C’mon, you two.  A big smile!  It’s a beautiful night, for a wonderful cause!”  The photographer further encouraged his reluctant subjects.  “You wanna look good in the funny papers, right?”

That comment pierced the tension.  Cate giggled softly, a more natural smile painting her lips.  She felt Tico relax just a tiny bit as he lowered their clasped hands to pose for the shot.  But Cate’s mind kept spinning as she heard the camera’s shutter click.

“Thanks, folks.  Have a good time tonight!”  The photographer nodded before turning to another dancing couple.

Tico took the lead again, silently guiding Cate into another shuffling turn.  She didn’t look at him, the tension between them simmering.  

As they slowly revolved her eyes automatically went again to the room’s arched entry.  She had been away from her surveillance duties too long already, but she couldn’t just dash away from Tico.  Especially not now.  She had to somehow allay his suspicions and convince him not to create trouble.

After a few long seconds he spoke.

“I don’t know what’s going on, Cate.  But it worries me.  I know things have been hard for you and Johnny lately, with the fertility doctors and everything.”  He paused, then cleared his throat before continuing.  “And I know it’s none of my business.  But it hurts my heart to think that you may be on the way to losing each other.”

His earnest words made a lump rise in Cate’s throat.  She had to swallow it down before she could reply.

“Tico.  I swear to you.”  Cate paused, pulling back a bit to give him an earnest look.  “There is nothing for you to be worried about.”

Tico regarded Cate for a long moment, his brown eyes narrowing as he considered her words.  “Chica, if I have nothing to worry about, then why do you look so afraid?”

His words hit Cate square in the heart.  She felt her eyes moisten with frustration.  That anyone could doubt her fidelity to Jon was insulting, but that these accusations came from Tico made them devastating. 

Her voice came in a broken whisper.  Even as the words passed her lips she knew it was wrong, in violation of every regulation and protocol.  But she had to explain, to convince him of her loyalty.

“I… I’m working.”  Cate heard the little hitch in her breath as she paused before leaning a little closer, to speak into Tico’s ear.  “Tico, I’m here on the job.  Right now.”

What?”  Tico’s rumble was abrupt, filled with surprise.  He jerked his head back to give Cate a wide-eyed stare.  She nodded slowly, then glanced at the couples nearest them on the dance floor.  They had stopped moving, turning to applaud the band.  Cate and Tico hadn’t even noticed the music had stopped.

Tico ignored the applause, still holding Cate in his formal embrace.  He searched her blue eyes for deception.  She stared back, silently imploring his understanding.

“You mean…?”  Tico’s unfinished question was quietly discrete. 

Cate nodded slightly.  “Yes.”  She didn’t offer more. 

When the music started again, Tico noticed.  Once again he took the lead before leaning closer to murmur in Cate’s ear.  “Does Johnny know?”

“He knows I’m working.  I didn’t tell him where.”  A tiny upward curl appeared at the corner of Cate’s mouth as she recalled her earlier conversation with her husband.  “But he suspects I’m here.”

“At the Gala?”

“In Miami.”

“And are you really here alone?” 

“Yes.  I’m here alone.”  Cate gave Tico a sideways glance, now too close to look him in the eye.  “I wasn’t lying, Teek.”

 A small sigh of relief escaped him.  “So I wasn’t wrong.  You were hiding something.”  He chortled softly.

“Yes.  I’m sorry, but…”  Cate paused.  “Tico, you can’t tell anyone.  I shouldn’t have told you.  I could get into big trouble…”

“My lips are sealed, Chica.”  Cate saw the corner of Tico’s mouth curve upward.  “I’m just relieved it’s not… well.  Something else.”

“Tico… I love Jon.”

“I know, Cate.  I’m sorry.”

“Please don’t ever doubt that again.”

“I won’t.”  Tico turned his head to brush a light kiss against Cate’s cheek.  “My humblest apologies.”  He gave her hand a little squeeze.

Cate didn’t respond.  She was still stung by Tico’s assumption.  She didn’t have it in her heart to accept his apology just yet.  After a moment of awkward silence Tico spoke again.

“Are you safe?”

His question made Cate smile despite herself.  They were all alike, these men in her world.

“Tico, look where we are.”

He chortled quietly.  “Yes, but there is evil everywhere.  And it often comes sharply dressed and bearing gifts.”

“I’m being careful, Tico.  My team is watching.”

“As are you?”

“As am I.”  Cate pulled back enough to give Tico a weary smile.  “And that’s what I need to do now.  I’ve been… distracted… too long already.”

“Where do you need to go?  I’ll walk you.”  Tico released Cate’s hand from his but kept his other chivalrously at her back.

“The reception.”

“Then let’s go."  Tico gave Cate a half-apologetic smile.  “Then how about I buy you that Ginger Ale and leave you to your business?”

Cate nodded, returning his smile.  She raised a finger to her lips in a secretive gesture.  He winked his understanding before guiding her away from the dance floor.


Two and a half very long hours later, Cate stepped out onto the huge balcony.  She glanced sideways for another visual check on Cupid’s location.  He was exactly where she expected, now huddled with a trio of swarthy, half-drunk men.  Little orange circles glowed from the smoldering tips of their expensive Cuban cigars.  Cate smirked at the thought that possession of illegal cigars was probably the most minor of the conspiracies in which Cupid had engaged this evening.

She raised her glass to take another sip of her Ginger Ale, then chuckled softly.  Tico’s earlier suggestion had been a helpful one:  garnished with a twist of lime and a sprig of mint, the soda looked exactly like a mojito.   After she had placed the gala-high winning $54,000 bid for Tico’s sculpture, more than a few people had wanted to buy her a celebratory drink.  So, four discretely-ordered "faux-jitos" later, she was still stone-cold sober.

After her tense encounter with Tico Cate had been cornered once more by her eager hostess, this time to introduce her to another well-heeled gala-goer.  This time Cate had found the conversation more interesting; Dr. Maria Cruz-Parra was one of Miami’s foremost reproductive endocrinologists.  Cate had come across Dr. Cruz-Parra’s name in her research, and knew Dr. Klein held her in high regard. 

Still, Cate had to swallow a lump in her throat before engaging Dr. Cruz-Parra in conversation about her work.  She couldn’t help but wonder if some Karmic force was at work this week, first disrupting her pregnancy-test appointment, then leading her to the baby boutique during her photo-op shopping trip, and now bringing her face-to-face with a woman who wanted to talk about the very condition Cate herself endured.  Yet she had put on a smile, asked interested questions, and even posed with the good doctor for yet another party photo.

Finally Cate had excused herself to the ladies’ room.  She needed the escape to gather herself.  The evening had been far more emotional than she had anticipated.

Once done with her reflective moment, Cate had powdered her nose, freshened her lipstick, and typed a few cryptic notes into her iPhone.  They would come in handy when she had to write her report following the surveillance.  The action helped her refocus her energy, making her realize the evening was actually going quite well.  At least from a professional standpoint.

Despite the personal obstacles she encountered, Cate had prevailed in her mission to observe Cupid’s activities throughout the evening.  She had even managed to eavesdrop on several interesting conversations between the Target and his cohorts while avoiding direct interaction.  Though it would not have been disastrous had she and Cupid come face-to-face, Cate wanted to avoid such a meeting if possible.  Thus far, she had been successful.

Now it was almost time for the exclusive moonlight cruise to depart, but Cupid was making no move toward the designated queuing place.  He appeared to be quite content to remain on dry land.  That was fine with Cate; she had not been able to figure out a way to get onto the boat that would not cause undue attention.

A vibration against her ribcage made Cate start.  She automatically cringed against the mild tickle, then reached to set her glass on a nearby ledge.  The buzz repeated twice before she was able to slip her iPhone out of her bag.  

A quick glance at the screen confirmed the incoming call was from “Romeo.”  She smirked slightly at the knowledge that it was most definitely not her youngest Stepson on the other end of the call.

“Hello?”  Cate’s voice was soft and neutral.  She glanced back toward her Target before moving off the balcony and back into the house.

“How’s the party, mi bella?”  Silvio’s Latin-tinged croon came through the phone.

“It’s lovely,” Cate replied.  She smiled at the coded reply.  She and Silvio’s team had designated the phrase as an indication that she was able to speak without an audience.  But in this case, it was also a factually accurate description of the event.

“Did you meet anyone interesting?”

“Yes, some wonderful people.”  Cate chuckled as Silvio continued the ruse.  “I also spent fifty-four grand of my husband’s money on a statue.”

A low whistle sounded in her ear.  “Holy Shit.  Better hope he likes it.”

“Yeah, well.  The kicker is I probably could have gotten it for free.”  Cate grimaced playfully though Silvio couldn’t see her expression.  She would tell him the story soon enough.

“Well that sucks.  But at least a good charity’s getting the dough.”

“Yeah.  So I don’t really mind so much.”

“So, Mrs. B… is your friend still in the building?”

“Yes.  I don’t think he’s leaving soon.”  Cate glanced back toward the balcony.  She could still see the shadowy forms and glowing embers in the corner of the huge terrace.

“Not going out for a little moonlight cruise?”

“Doesn’t seem so.”

“Hmm.  That’s interesting.  Especially now that we found something else out.”

Cate’s pulse jumped at Silvio’s minor revelation.  He wouldn’t call her while she was on an op unless he had something of importance to pass on.  “What?”

“Our timekeeper called.  Guess who cleared his schedule for the rest of the week?”

Cate’s heart sank.  If Cupid had instructed his staff to clear his schedule of several important events, he must be planning to stay in Miami through the weekend.  That meant the surveillance would have to continue.

“You don’t say?”  Cate tried not to let her dismay creep into her voice even as her brain started to swirl, processing the new knowledge.  She didn’t know how the Hell she was going to pull it off, but she somehow had to get back home for Jon’s birthday.

Su veridad.”

Cate couldn’t keep a sigh of frustration from escaping her lips.  “No indication of his intentions?”

“Not yet.  But I thought maybe you might be able to find out.  He called the office around five, told ‘em he wouldn’t be in the rest of the week.  So it’s a new development.”

“Okay.”  Cate closed her eyes and rubbed at her temple with her free hand, trying to physically slow her rushing thoughts.  “I’ll see what I can do.”

“I know you will.”  Silvio chuckled.  “Check in when you get home.”

“Yup.”

“And be careful.  Don’t drink and drive.”  Silvio snickered at his faux-concern, knowing full well that Cate rarely drank and Agent Pena would chauffeur her back to her hotel.

“I won’t.”  Cate smiled despite herself.  “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Hasta manana, Cate.”

“Bye.”

Cate closed the connection and slipped her phone back into her purse.  He shoulders slumped defeatedly as she moved back toward the patio and the man who now controlled her calendar.

*****

Cate sighed aloud as the cab pulled to the curb in front of the New Museum Building.  

Finally.

It was the dead of night, and traffic from the airport had still been awful thanks to overnight road work.  Cate had nearly been reduced to frustrated tears by the agonizingly slow trek.  She was cold, lonely, and tired, and she just wanted to get home.

The last three days were a blur, having passed in a whirlwind of activity.  What had started out as a simple and rather enjoyable assignment to shop and attend a charity gala in sunny Miami had quickly mushroomed into a major operation.  Thanks to her Target’s spur-of-the-moment travel plans that took him to Key West and Nassau, Bahamas, additional agents had to be summoned from supporting field offices. 

With such a large contingent of feds following the corrupt Jersey politician, Cate had been obligated to stay in Miami to help coordinate the effort.  Though she hadn’t mentioned her near-panic at the thought of missing Jon’s surprise party, Silvio had sensed something was amiss. 

When he convinced Cate to reluctantly share her preoccupation, the Miami Special-Agent-In-Charge had immediately ordered Yvette to book Cate on the earliest flight home.  Cate protested loudly, indignantly asserting that it was her responsibility to manage the activity on her case.  

No shrinking violet himself, Silvio had stood firm.  The argument that ensued was friendly but fierce.  Finally the two agents reached a mutually-beneficial compromise.  Cate stayed on to manage operational activity through midnight on Thursday, and Silvio took over at 12:01 a.m. Friday.  Minutes later Cate had been on her way to the airport.

That was four hours ago.

Half-numb with exhaustion, Cate pushed a folded trio of bills forward over the seat as she mumbled a "thank you" to the equally-weary driver.  He nodded his reply, then climbed out of the driver's seat.  While Cate exited the taxi curbside he retrieved her bags from the trunk.

"Night, Ma'am."  The cabbie didn't await Cate's reply before turning his back and slamming the trunk closed.

"Oh... good night..." Cate replied feebly.  She watched the man hunch back into his seat and the car pull away from the curb.  She stood staring blearily after the cab for a long moment, before realizing she was now alone on the sidewalk.  With a little shiver she reached for her bags.

The soft glow of the low lights in the lobby warmed her.  Cate slowly towed her suitcase across the tile floor and to the private elevator.  The quiet whoosh of the opening doors were like a whispered welcome.  The corner of Cate's mouth curved faintly upward as she slumped against the paneling while the elevator ascended to the penthouse.

She had to enter the keypad combination three times to gain entry to the apartment, her brain and her fingers refusing to work in tandem.  With another weary sigh she shoved her rolling suitcase through the floor and gave it a rough kick.  It glided across the hardwood floor and bumped into the wall. 

Slinging her carryon bag to the floor and more gently dropping her laptop case beside it, Cate pushed shut the front door and slid the deadbolt into place.  Her heavy coat and scarf joined the pile on the floor, as did her shoes.

She trudged through the foyer and the living room, then rounded the corner to the dusky kitchen.  As usual, a faint light glowed above the stove, illuminating the space just enough to provide a navigation aid for half-asleep wanderers.  Cate hesitated briefly, then realized she was too tired even to stop for a drink of water.  She continued her trek to the bedroom.

The sound of his breathing made her smile.  She paused just inside the doorway, letting her vision adjust to the inky darkness.  A weak glow seeped from the edge of the curtains, the radiance of the city lights not fully extinguished by the heavy drapes.  Cate's gaze settled on the bed, guided by the deep, rhythmic whisper of his sleep.

Jon was curled on his side in the middle of the bed, facing away from her.  Despite the winter chill his torso was bare, a dark mass of bedclothes swaddled around his waist.  Shades of shadow played over his muscular back and tinted his tousled hair.

Cate's heart squeezed.  Even in sleep, he was exquisite.

And he was hers.

She stood watching him sleep for a long moment, until her own weariness overtook her.  Not bothering to traipse to the dressing area on the far side of the long room, Cate slowly peeled off her scarf, sweater, blouse, and jeans.  She unclasped her bra and dropped it onto the pile at her feet before taking two steps to the bench at the bed's foot. 

Cate smiled tiredly as she reached for Jon's rumpled button-down, then gently shook it out.  She pulled the shirt to her face and breathed in his scent before slipping the garment over her nearly-nude form.  The soft cotton caressed her skin, a mimic of his tender touch.  Immediately her tired-tense body relaxed.

She was home.

Cate eased down onto the edge of the mattress, not wanting to wake him with her movement.  She glanced at her digital alarm clock, its announcement of the early hour glowing faintly from her nightstand on the opposite side of the bed.  She dismissed the thought that she should set her alarm; her body would probably wake her up anyway.   And if it didn't... well, she didn't really care.

A quiet groan escaped her lips as Cate reclined on the mattress.  Her weary muscles sighed gratefully.  Cate lay still for a moment, then raised her arms above her head.  She breathed deeply as she elongated her body in a welcome stretch, the ripple of pops along her spine bringing instant relief.  Then she relaxed.

A full minute later Cate turned on her side, toward the center of the bed.  Instinctively her knees bent and her spine curved she moved closer to Jon.  She sighed contentedly as her arm slipped around his waist and she curled her body against his.  She brushed a gentle kiss against his shoulder before settling her cheek against his warm flesh.

"Mmmm.... Baby?"  Jon's mumble was hoarse with sleep.  "You're home."

"Yeah." Cate's reply was a tired whisper.  "Finally made it."

"What... time... is it?"  Jon sighed woozily, not opening his eyes.  His arm drifted downward to rest against Cate's, his hand gliding over hers on his belly.  Automatically his fingers tunneled between hers.

"A little after four." 

"Mmm... Jesus.  Red-eye."

"Yeah."  Cate yawned, then smiled faintly.  "But I made it."  Her eyes drifted half-closed.  "Happy Birthday, Baby."

Jon smiled.  "Thanks."

His raspy chuckle was the last thing she heard.  



2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Sooooo glad she made it home in time for his party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for a new long chapter!!!

    hope they have a few happy hours together!!!

    D.

    ReplyDelete